Wednesday 26 September 2012

Day Two


Today I made a few changes to the recipe. First up I decided to halve the quantities. Although the recipe had already been reduced I found that the mix was too much for me to bake with limited backing trays. It worked ok, though it is certainly easier to whip the egg whites when there is a little more of them.
  
Lemon butter macarons


Once I got started I skipped sieving the icing sugar and almond meal, as that took too long. I gave the mix a pulse :) in the food processor and proceeded to mix it with half the egg whites in the small bowl, forgetting that on Monday I'd used the bigger bowl. Using the bigger bowl means I have to wash it out before making the Italian meringue, but it certainly works better.


Messy but delicious


I also coloured my meringues today as I'm going to make a lemon curd to go inside. I don't have any powder colour so I am a little worried that the yellow liquid may have thrown my mix off. 

When it came to mixing the meringue with almond/icing sugar mix I was very conservatory with my mixing. I just incorporated it all and tried the 30sec check. It seemed ok, but I wasn't certain, all the same I mixed it just a couple turns more. 

Look at those beautiful pieds


These macarons certainly turned out much higher than yesterdays but a lot of them cracked along the top(sorry only took pictures of the 'pretty' ones). So I turned to the internet once again. I went back to a blog I'd looked at earlier about my flat macarons, you can do it at home. Sue suggests leaving macarons on the bench to sit before backing for 30-60 min. So I'll try 30min for day three of the challenge!!

One slightly cracked top


By the way it only took me an hour to make them all today.
Pulse

No comments:

Post a Comment